Get your group ready for a trip to Croatia by making this delectable nut roll popular in the country. Recipe and photo courtesy Food.com.
Cooking Time: 3 Hours and 50 Minutes
Prep: 1 hr 10 mins
Cook: 2 hrs 40 mins
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 2 cups milk, lukewarm
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup butter (not spread or tub product) or 1/2 cup margarine (not spread or tub product)
- 8 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 -3 lbs nuts, shelled and ground
- 2 -3 cups sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk (Pet brand preferred) or 1 pint half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 egg whites, beaten (optional)
- Stir yeast into water.
- Mix butter, milk, sugar, and salt.
- Add egg yolks, yeast mixture and 2 cup flour.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add remaining flour and turn dough out on a floured surface.
- Knead until smooth, elastic and does not stick to surface.
- Place in greased bowl and let rise 1 hour.
- Grease your baking pan.
- Filling: mix milk, salt, margarine and sugar.
- Heat slightly until margarine melts and sugar is dissolved.
- Add nuts then to stretch mixture you can fold in beaten egg whites.
- After it has risen, divide into 4 equal parts.
- Do not knead.
- Roll each piece to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Spread with cooled filling.
- Roll jelly-roll style and place seam down in a greased pan.
- Let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake 40 – 45 minutes.